Thursday, December 2, 2010

Week 13 Reflection

Reading about rich media on page 312 of Chapter 30, to me, defines why we are here studying what we are studying. The book states that "...current technology has greater capacity to deliver information to learners than learners have psychological capacity to assimilate that information." That statement is why this degree exists. We can teach so much more incorporating technology because it is much more efficient and effective. The book also spoke about how rich media is used in training. The training also then becomes more effective as well. "Rich media will only benefit learners to the extent that its capabilities are harnessed in ways that support human cognitive learning processes." I don't know if I can think of an instance where rich media (as defined by the book are products that incorporate high-end media such as video, animation, sound, and simulation) would hinder the learning process when used correctly. But, then who is to define what the "correct" use of technology is? And, who is to say that the use of technology may not confuse a student who might otherwise understand the concept through the use of paper and pencil only? I guess the first statement I cited from the chapter could not be true for all situations. 

But, then as I continued reading the chapter, I came across the section about the evidence that visuals can improve learning on page 315. I really think that this section is saying that in all cases, a visual, that could be a form of rich media, will enhance learning. When I think about the evidence and the tests that were done, I now feel like there really isn't an instance where a visual could not NOT improve the learning process in every situation. Hard to say. 

Another section of Chapter 30 that I really enjoyed reading was about minimizing the unnecessary visuals and text. Sometimes, teachers use too much which can make the lesson more confusing. I have experienced this as a student and also I have noticed myself doing it a couple of times when I was teaching. I was really excited about a lesson and used every trick I had in the book to try and explain this lesson. I thought I was tying everything (all of the materials) together very nicely and that it was all going to come full circle at the end of my lesson, but I had confused the students with all of the different visuals and worksheets. I would now be much more aware of the amount of extras that I am implementing into the lessons. Like the book says, the visuals and text need to be relevant to the lesson and not to distract the learners. They can be used to get the student's attention and interest, but not to the point where the point of the lesson is being lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment